Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Mandarin Orange Cake with Pineapple Cream

This cake is such a big cheat. It's made with boxed cake mix, Cool Whip and boxed pudding. As you know, I don't bake, so this was right up my alley. And the results were fantastic. Everyone from the party wants the recipe. So, if you're feeling a little Sandra Lee ("semi-homemade"--that is an awful show, by the way) then this is the recipe for you.
























This is my MIL's recipe that she adapted from Southern Living:


Mandarin Orange Cake
1 pkg yellow cake mix without pudding
1 [11 oz] can mandarin oranges, undrained
4 eggs
½ cup oil
1 [15 oz] can crushed pineapple drained
1 [9oz] carton frozen whipped cream, thawed
1 small pkg vanilla instant pudding

Combine cake mix, oranges, eggs and oil.  Beat 2 minutes at high speed of electric mixer.  Reduce speed to low, beat 1 minute.

Pour batter into 3 greased and floured cake pans (three 9" rounds).  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Cool in pans, remove, cool completely.  [I froze them for several days so they would be easier to frost and frosted them the day we ate them.]

Combine 3 remaining ingredients, beat 2 minutes at medium speed, let stand 5 minutes or until mixture reaches spreading consistency.  I actually refrigerated the frosting
so it would not be so runny.  Spread mixture between layers and on top and sides of cake.  Chill at least 2 hours before serving.  Store in refrigerator.

13 comments:

holly p said...

This cake looks delicious! I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

Creature Gorgeous said...

Hey Holly! Hope you enjoy it--maybe let us know how it turns out??

Mrs. Hot Cocoa said...

Looks stunning. Plus pineapple cream = the love.

michelle @ blissful musings said...

Yum, that sounds delicious and just looks beautiful

Ali @ His Birdie's Nest said...

That looks delish! I cannot wait to try it... maybe for Mother's Day :)
P.S. I don't like Sandra Lee's show either :-P

Justin said...

ha, cheats or not, that sounds good

Sugarpond said...

the cake looks so stunning, and the recipe is so simple!

Peggy from Toronto said...

Must. Make. This. :o) BTW, are you serious that you've never had fries and gravy before? Never? So, I suppose you've never eaten poutine? Fries with cheese curds on top, drenched in hot gravy, cheese melts and with one bite, you're in heaven.

M and C said...

Why do I read your blog so early in the morning? I shouldn't want cake at 7:33am. :)

Creature Gorgeous said...

HC, Ali, Sandy, Michelle, and Justin: Thanks! For those of you who are going to make it, I hope you guys enjoy creating and eating it, and like I said for Holly, maybe you could share your results on your blogs!

Peggy: Ha! Come to think of it, I HAVE had fries and gravy--in New York, at Tom's. But I forgot because the gravy was served on TOP of the fries, and not as a dipping sauce. Also, I've heard of the magnificence that is poutin, but have never tried it. I think I'm seriously missing out!!!!

Catherine: Hahahahaha!

Felicia said...

Ah this cake sounds like something I would cobble together! It sounds awesome as a refreshing cake for summer. I shall try it sometime :)

- HowJoyful - said...

This looks and sounds so delicious!! I need to try it! =)
Thanks for sharing!!

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

View My Stats